February 14, 2009

HAPPY ST. VALENTINE!!

St. Valentine's Story

Let me introduce myself. My name is Valentine. It’s the third century and I live in Rome. Rome is ruled by an emperor named Claudius.
Claudius wants to have a big army but many men do not want to fight in wars. They do not want to leave their wives and families. Claudius is furious and he has a crazy idea: he decides not to allow any more marriages.
I am a priest. One of my favorite activities is to marry couples so I continue performing marriage ceremonies - secretly, of course.
One night, they catch me and send me to prison. They say my punishment is death. Many young people come to prison to visit me. They want me to know that they, too, believe in love.
One of these young people is the prison guard’s daughter. I leave her a little note thanking her for her friendship and loyalty. I write it on February 14, 269 A.D., the day I died. I sign it, "Love from your Valentine."
I believe that note started the custom of exchanging love messages on Valentine's Day. Now, every year on this day, people remember. But most importantly, they think about love and friendship. And when they think of Emperor Claudius, they remember how he tried to stand in the way of love, and they laugh -- because they know that love can't be beaten!



Glossary:
Allow: permitir Beaten: vencido Death: muerte Friendship: amistad
Loyalty: lealtad Priest: sacerdote Punishment: castigo


Read the text again and answer to the following questions according to the text:
(to see the answers click on comments)

1. When and where does St Valentine live?
2. Who is the emperor?
3. What does St. Valentine do?
4. Why do they catch him and send him to prison?
5. What is his punishment?
6. When does St Valentine write a note?
7. Who does he write the note to?
8. When does St Valentine die?




VALENTINE SILLY POEMS

PLENTY OF LOVE

Plenty of love,
Tons of kisses,
Hope some day,
To be your Mrs.

LOVE IS LIKE A CABBAGE

My love is like a cabbage*,
Divided into
two,
The leaves I give to others,
The heart I give to you.

*coliflor

A love story

Casablanca (1942)Rick (Humphrey Bogart) and Ilsa (Ingrid Bergman) live a passionate love affair in Paris during the German occupation. Then she leaves him and goes back with her husband, a famous Czech rebel and nationalist (Paul Heinreid).
Rick and Ilsa meet again in Casablanca. Rick is the owner of a nightclub in French-occupied Morocco. They are still in love but their love is impossible.
This intense love triangle is at the center of this movie, which is perhaps the greatest love story ever committed to film.

Watch a famous scene from the film.

As Time Goes By




ANOTHER LOVE SONG

"Love Is All Around " by Wet Wet Wet

1 comment:

eoilumi1 said...

1. He lives in Rome in the third century.
2. Claudius.
3. He is a priest.
4. Because he continues marrying people.
5. Death.
6. On the day of his death.
7. The note is for the prison guard’s daughter.
8. On 14 February, 269 A.D.